Friday, July 31, 2026

This is not a new word to me. But I had forgotten it. Ode to a Grecian Urn. A teacher who loved me once gave me a collection of Keats's poetry and then he died - I found a decades old love note still tucked in the book when I moved. I thought perpaps if I assinged students "write an ekphrastic response" there's no way AI could do that for them. So I tested the theory, using Grit P.1 as the original art object, since there would be no description of that anywhere on the internet to pull. I thought it would fail. And it did the first time, misremebering the novel for a painting and just pulling it out of its ass completely. I told it to try again and to write an ode, specifically. And it could. Downside, there seems very ways to escape. Upside, it's a decent ode. Too long, but not terrible. By the end of August, maybe I will have figured out how to be Completely Bonkers in what I ask students to do, then entertained by what they get the llm's to do, then "give them all an A for surviving" (Down Time), which, to be honest, is what most of us have mostly been doing since 2020.

Get your preferred AI bot to delight me = the new Don't Bore Me.

if this had ventured to be funny too somewhere somehow, it'd get my attention 👁

as it is, this posits the writer (me) as a "pebble in a shoe" which is almost funny but closer to merely accurate and melodramatic

"Ode to Grit", by chatgpt (free version)


Not to victory.


Not to healing.


Not even to love.


To grit.


To the grain that stays behind after everything larger

has been ground away.


I praise the stubborn particle.


The thing under the eyelid

that refuses every explanation.


The pebble in the boot

that makes a pilgrim out of someone

who never meant to travel.


The word that keeps returning

after every draft has sworn

it has finally found another.


Praise to the body

that remembers before the mind does.


To the throat.


To the hand reaching anyway.


To the kiss that knows

it cannot save anyone

and arrives anyway.


To laughter,

brief rebellion against physics.


Praise to all the failed solutions.


To sex that could not become salvation.


To understanding

that could not become control.


To tenderness

that could not become rescue.


Not because they failed—


because they were offered.


Praise to mothers

who arrive every season

without asking permission

from the plot.


Praise to daughters

who keep making tomorrow

out of impossible materials.


Praise to dogs

who know nothing of symbolism

and therefore understand grief correctly.


Praise to the text message.


To the driveway.


To the kitchen light.


To every ordinary room

where history quietly changed direction

while nobody thought to name it.


I praise the teacher

who cannot stop explaining.


Not because explanation wins.


Because explanation

is one form of love.


One says:


Look.


Come stand where I am standing.


Do you see it now?


I praise the addict.


Not addiction.


The impossible mathematics

required to wake up

and try again.


The thousand invisible decisions

that no audience applauds.


The terrible courage

of staying alive

one more ordinary Thursday.


And finally,


I praise the woman

who kept writing

long after the audience dispersed.


Who mistook endurance

for failure,


until one morning

she discovered


that endurance


was the medium.


That the novel

had never been about surviving love,


or grief,


or sobriety,


or work.


It had been teaching itself


how to become


the thing that remains


after all the stories

about becoming

have burned away.


Just still here.


Grit.