Friday, June 25, 2010




Sunnie and I concocted the idea for 'intention jam' earlier this year, when there was still snow on the ground so we were imagining summer. Preserving jams cost me a lot of money to make, but I do it anyway cz I like to, it's old-timey know-how that I like to keep up, it tastes nothing like store-bought at all, I can taste summer all winter long and I give jars of it away as gifts. I was getting fruit from the farmers market on her road, and meanwhile she made friends with the farmer, and so instead of paying 'bruised fruit' prices like I was doing, we're going to get 2-day-old fruits for free from him in exchange for a couple big jars of jam per canning day. Then we'll sell about half the jars to break even on supplies, and the rest is pure food profit, to eat and give away. Today was our first batch, a raspberry lo-sugar jam. The intention part is our kitchen witchery, so each recipe has its own mojo. Since this is the first recipe, it's intended for "starting things, getting projects going, setting things into motion". I named it "Pluck!" We made 50 jars.
we be jammin playlist:
bonus track - bob marley - jammin
cake - war pigs
lizzy mercier - mission impossible
kings of convenience - boat behind
dala - ohio
giant drag - wicked game
homesick elephant - danger zone
Tbone followed us around the entire time we were working, drinking Bud Light and yammering like a little kid with a whole lot to say. I sent him to Tops 4 times, he was like the one of the kids who's old enough to drive hahahahahhah, it was pretty great. (But wow can he YAMMER, I always forget how much.) Tomorrow night is the big soltice celebration, we're casting a ritual circle big enough to hold about half of Youngstown on Sunnie's property, Tbone wants to go, he even raced off to Walmart to get himself a yellow shirt (dressing to honor the sun is the only requirement, and a sunshiney dish to pass of course, mine being another new recipe: Lemonhead Chocolate Cookie bars, I made it up to taste just like dunking oreos into strong lemonade and yes it has real lemonheads in it, mmmm), a LOUDass hawaiian print with tequila bottles all over it.
All this time, I'm babying a slight hangover, which is reminding me to do some hard choice thinking on the backburner of my mind while all this was going on, which I did.
Better get some sleep, tomorrow during the day is the Garden Show, I'm one of the new invited entries for the village, pics to follow, of such things as the kids selling rootbeer floats for a buck at the end of the driveway . . . zzzzzz