Sunday, December 19, 2010

Polyrhythms in tap dance can also be obsverved in the relation of dancer to musician, the dancer steps inside the rhythms of the musicians. . a Dan dancer from the northeast of Liberia demonstrate[s] the dancer/drummer relationship: "He enters the ring in the village square first to salute the 'master drummer', to 'get his motion', ie to settle the basic rhythm. He then begins a toe-dragging sequence, kept simple, because the drummer is studying his motion. Slowly he develops his dance; he must keep the drummer active with counter-balances of percussive footwork." ~Kariamu Welsh-Asante, African Dance

yeah like that - like earlier today when I played Shorty (the drum) for the first time (jeesh is he loud, holy crap, no place to hide while you're learning w that dude as your drum, ha) in the group, then stopped a while and I was reading a book and kind of dancing, then started dancingdancing and the drums all picked it up, and if they'd stop then I'd have to stop but vice versa too. Sunnie drifted from bongos, ie supporting my dancing, to dancing herself, and back again.

after 24 hours of making music like that, I see pretty clearly that it's like yoga in that it'll subtley change my signature vibration as I'm just standing around Being whatever, my molecules will reorganize around the practice.