Monday, January 18, 2010


heard a story on the radio about this upstate NY kid who died of Everything Cancer recently - he was a ukele prodigy and he managed to do this benefit cd before he died (at 16), proceeds go to charity. the tracks on the cd are mostly duets w famous people and he plays the ukele, though some of them, like a cover of Prince's "Kiss", are solo pieces that he sang around all the tumors in his mouth. what got to me was the part in the story where his mom talked about how he wasn't so worried about the tumors, it was the scratchy puberty vocal range that embarrassed him. that struck me as such a powerful statement about how we worry about how we're coming off more than we worry about almost anything else, a self-generated heckling peanut gallery in our heads all the time.

killian mansfield (w Dr. John, I'm pretty sure) - scratch my back - (the "Kiss" track is good but I couldn't listen to it myself without feeling hot golf balls in my mouth). you can buy the cd at amazon
bonus track: Susan Tedeschi: Lord Protect My Child (Dylan cover)