Thursday, March 27, 2008


I heard myself as if you
Had heard me
Before reflection I heard
You outside only inside
Sometimes only a word
So in a particular world
As in a spiritual world
Face the window I had
To know what ought to be

-from Souls of the Labadie Trust, Susan Howe

I went to hear Susan read at UB tonight.


I remember believing that writing would impose order on feeling and civilize it out of violence into expression at least, if not understanding.

Writing is evidence of a discomfiture of mind seeking composure, with a gift (more or less) for picking adjectives.

When I got home, I found King Kong in my inbox. Perfect timing

what I'm listening to:
Sam Beam – Free Until They Cut Me Down; Freedom Hangs Like Heaven
I can’t get enough of him
I will breathe free as any Word of God
Bound up tight like lips around a whimper