Tuesday, January 30, 2007

I did actually have that fever. So for another half day and night, all that happened was sleep and soup and Owen Meany. A quail egg tastes just like a plain ol’ egg only smaller and cuter. It was a little odd floating poached in the mushroom soup, but there’s an egg on everything here, on the cheeseburgers even, everything. There is a “in case you need an egg here’s an egg” universal policy. That was fine, I love eggs, but getting pineapple again proved a little difficult. Here’s how it goes. You ask for something, you ask it of the woman who is trying to serve you, she has no idea what you’re talking about, she holds up a finger ‘one minute please’ and she fetches someone, usually a guy. Once it was a Russian woman, but mostly it’s “The Man”. He comes over, I say Pineapple, he has no idea either. There is a display of pineapples near the guy in the rooster hat who is cooking on the grill. I stand up, point to myself, point to The Man, and say “I will show you.” He nods. We walk over to it and I point and say Pineapple. Ooooo, “Pwie-IppL.” I giggle, I can’t help it. I say it again, carefully, Pine Apple. He watches my mouth, smiles and says carefully, “Pwie-IppL” I totally giggle, and he laughs. And I look at him, the crinkle corner of the eye twinkle smile thing and realize holy shit I’m Chinese flirting.

"Nothing to Me," Lee Hazlewood
"Some Say (I Got Devil)" - Tortoise
"Gimme Shelter" - Merry Clayton (best in show)