Saturday, April 15, 2006

what's the world coming to?

From “Keytracks” review section, Rollingstone.com:

Twenty years after the Smith’s heyday, Moz finally gets laid. Why didn’t anyone think of this before?

It’s just like when you turn on a Bill’s game, and they’re winning, but then start to lose just when you start watching.

-------------------------------------------------------
Then, I read this: The raddest (raddest?) song on the second consecutive album to reassert Prince’s funk bona fides is arresting in part because it is so unassuming. The rad part is a lyric that explicitly invites us to ‘get saved’. Christ is never mentioned, but Prince’s talk of ‘new exaltation’ and ‘streets of gold’ can’t be rationalized away as sex talk . . . The greasy organ R&B of “Satisfied” ‘ain’t talking about nothing physical’. “Incense and Candles” turns on an unusual entreaty: ‘I know you want to take off all your clothes/ But please don’t do it.’

Prince found Jesus and is promoting celibacy? I read the review out to the woman who is cutting my hair. She says, I don’t see the big deal. Was Prince sexy?

Let’s take a listen: Satisfied

If that song is about celibacy, well then Madonna might stand a chance with the Pope.

---------------------------------------
Speaking of whom, rounding out my thoughts for the day of musicians aging and changing and the unsettling affect it might have on the rest of us to witness it . . . What would you provide as a caption to this photo? Here are some of my choices:














Guy Ritchie is a necrophiliac.

Guy’s last girlfriend was a blow-up doll, and well I just wanted to make it work so bad . .

I haven’t been shtooked right once since I got with Mr. Tea and Crumpets.

And lo, uh huh. (Punching out her rabbi is rarely a good sign.)

bonus track: cherish