Thursday, July 17, 2014

left for dead is dead enough




I never saw him coming, that was the thing of it.  He was literally the last man on earth I thought I had anything to expect from whatsoever for a bunch of reasons.  So I let my guard down, which I never fully do, or had done I should say.  I have walls, inner and outer and perimeter, with jokes set up all around to trick you into thinking I’m “open”.  But he was so seemingly harmless as to be almost inert.  So I told him all about it all, all about FPH and my weird walled-offedness I could never figure out how to get around, and attraction to people who were as bad or worse, until I was like the human wall of China. And anyone who wasn’t walled off wound up beating their head against me (unsuccessfully and painfully) and anyone also walled off like that, well we’d just mostly stand next to each other never really touching (less immediate damage but not particularly satisfying over time). And Aaron listened carefully to all of this.  And then he took me right down, I’d told him how to after all, and he did.  

And what did he find behind all those walls?  Well, I’m pretty boring, that’s what.  I mean, if ya like house projects, I might be a dreamboat.  My idea of a good time is making pot roast. Going to cabins in the woods and playing board games as vacations.  Going out to dinner sometimes. My perfect day has mostly nothing in it.  I like to feed people and plant flowers.  If this were my last day on earth, I’d: get up and make bacon, watch something funny on tv with the kids, do a few household chores (creating order makes me happy), maybe go buy wine to go with whatever was for dinner, make love all afternoon with a nap chaser, then get up and cook/eat again, watching something on tv again (something DVR’d, episodes of the half a dozen favorite shows, or maybe just an episode of Chopped on a weeknight), maybe play a board game (Cards Against Humanity is my favorite), then read a good book and go to sleep preferably curled in a hairy armpit.  Repeat repeat, etc. = The Good Life to me. For all the scaling of the walls, all he found inside was a small courtyard.  I have to give it to him: that is not terribly exciting.

And as for Aaron’s role inside that courtyard, I had for him quite a bit of pent up care I wanted to bestow.  That he was broke and hadn’t a clue how to do much for himself suited me okay.  All he had to do was be kind to me and the kids, to pour safety on me, and to let me do for him.  I could make him meals, make sure his clothes were clean, make sure he was and appeared claimed and cared for by a woman, by me.  A big fat thumb-proportioned ring of my own design.  Like I said, he had listened carefully, and he gave me everything I had been missing, which was some of what I had not been able to take but mostly was what I had not been able to give. And then I sent him to work, a nursing field full of women, to whom, looking like that, complete with his packed breakfast and lunch each and every day he’d look completely harmless.  Obviously not “on the make”, not drinking his favorite strawberry milk out of lunch bags sometimes containing random little love notes from his woman, right?  He’d be just the kind of guy you could let your guard down around then, eh?  And he’d listen carefully.  And take as many women down as he wanted.  As long as he hid it well from the woman at home who would never ever suspect it in a million years, which wouldn’t be all that hard now would it?  

No wonder he could never quit smoking (?)  

And how much can I bear to know?  It was real to me, my life, the some very hard but/and a lot of quietly good times in it, a decent nonviolent cherished little life.  Just the one mistress (which considering how many times he lied and still was/is lying about her until I refused to answer the phone anymore to listen, counts as one time like malaria counts as one illness, striking again and again to shit your brains out over) – jesus, that’s plenty to take both my life and the illusion of my life away from me in “one” go.  And from the perspective I have now, looking back, it’s possible he’s been ‘providing a harmless ear’ fuck-shopping for my replacement for God knows how long, how many times.  So I have to give it to him again: I’d rather not know.

"Call Your Girlfriend (Robyn cover)," Lucy Wainwright Roche (9.5 on the pain scale)