Wednesday, January 28, 2009

apane juhvati pranam prane panam tathapare pranapana-gati ruddhva pranayama-parayanah


Khecarī Mudrā is a yoga practice which is carried out by placing the tongue above the soft palate and into the nasal cavity. In the beginning stages, the tongue is placed in contact with the uvula at the back of the mouth. Mudrā (Sanskrit, मुद्रा, literally "seal"), when used in yoga, is a position that is designed to awaken spiritual energies in the body.
The practice is mentioned in the Hatha Yoga Pradipika (III. 6-7). In recent times, it was taught by Paramahansa Yogananda as a part of Kriya Yoga practice. Yogananda stated that:
Through the performance of Kechari Mudra, touching the tip of the tongue to the uvula, or "little tongue," (or placing it in the nasal cavity behind the uvula), that divine life-current draws the prana from the senses into the spine and draws it up through the chakras to Vaishnavara (Universal Spirit), uniting the consciousness with spirit

According to Swami Kriyananda, "The assumption of this mudra helps to hasten the advent of deep spiritual states of consciousness."


I try for this mudra during the final kapalbhati breathing in my practice, but I can't manage it. I wonder if IPG knows a secret bhakti technique of mastering it or what. (Imagine: the clueless priestweak yogini asks hot guru dude about advanced tongue yoga practices just when he'd dodged dinosaurs . . . glad it didn't even occur to me.) In other somewhat related news, seems I did indeed find where I'll belong next on this yoga journey; I will soon start teacher-training with Siri Egg. I kinda can't believe it, but am very happy despite worrying that I'm just too essentially ridiculous for dancing with God. (And my throat is in fire.)

-----

ears: mmmmmm tacos are the best food
tj: they're not the healthiest
ears: maybe but tacos are God's favorite food
tj: how do you know?
ears: God is in everyone . . . but mostly in me

-----

bonus track: "The Sufi's Tears," Charles Lloyd, tenor sax; Geri Allen, piano; Robert Hurst, bass; Eric Harland, drums
"People Get Ready (Impressions cover)," Seal - mmm I love a black choir, like chanting only more groovy