Saturday, August 18, 2007

I went to see a woman who runs a banner/button business out of her home – union buttons. Her walkway was lined with bowling balls instead of flowers. It made me wistful – they like to bowl, I thought, and logically speaking nobody bowls alone. Then since I was in Hamburg (Bumblefuck) anyway, I went and lit candles at the Basilica; I bought enough candles to light one at the feet of every Our Lady Of Life is a Trade Off statue. And I didn’t pray anything in particular – I don’t think prayers should be Christmas lists. I just said “please whatever”. And I dipped my necklace in the basin of holy water. Then I went to sweat and a man asked me “Are you going up Delaware?” and I said No Sorry. I was going up that street though, it’s just that No’s come easy, automatic, whereas Yes’s I gotta separate from the pocket lint. I turned back and changed my mind and then gave him a ride home because he’d broken his neck, he tripped, and so he didn’t like to walk that route anymore from his apartment to the gym. He’s been married 61 years, has lived in the same apartment for 27 years, walks on a treadmill every day, can’t turn his head to the left very well. His name is Phil and he told me I was pretty and that he liked my car cuz it was up high to see out.

girls aloud – rehab (amy winehouse cover)