Tuesday, October 09, 2007

I was in high school
when I realized that not doing anything
was categorically different from deciding to do nothing,
but beauty blew a fuse, the hold music put me in a trance,
and what was black and heading towards me
transported me here like a cow in a comic hurricane.

--David Berman
from "The New Idea"



9 am class
11 am class
12 30 class
2 30 class
get agenda out for ugc committee
grade speeches
prep improvisational speaking exercises
answer 11 emails
grade 37 papers (fail at this by half)
tkd practice
gather camping equipment for Montessori trip
dinner lunches bath homework
pre-bedtime reading
8 30 class
clean kitchen . . .

I am not essentially optional in my own life, a lesser imperative than the necessities/tasks – That is a hard thing to remember.

Heard B. B. King on “Rock n Roll Roots”, one of those Midwestern radio pleasures I do like when I’m there - For an old round black guy, B. B. is hot:
B. B. and Van Morrison – Day Like This (If You Love Me).