Saturday, June 13, 2015

"Thigmotropism is a movement in which a plant moves or grows in response to touch or contact stimuli. The prefix thigmo- comes from the Greek for "touch" (θιγμός). Usually thigmotropismoccurs when plants grow around a surface, such as a wall, pot, or trellis."

(I'm on a Dillard kick.)

I walked into a meeting late yesterday to find that I was in charge of it (again). Either I'm the only faculty member that the VP's know by name, or I'm the only one they're not scared of (I hide my crazy better than most and mine tends toward sad not mad). This time it's FERPA, about which I know utterly nothing except we've been caught breaking the law somehow, like when I looked up Aaron's record back in the day to advise him on this or that, I was breaking the law (who knew?). All I want to do is summer-read, but in five days, I have to submit a report of repentance and reform on behalf of the college to the state. In one day, my current class ends and the day after that two more classes begin. Last night, first dinner with the dreaded in - law in a year; they're still talking about what to do with the dining room set; my theory is that when the steel plants closed in South Buf, the trauma of change was so great that the people who live there counteracted it with statis in their beings and now find existential comfort in never changing the subject. I might find a niche in that, akin to the one I have at work, aka the 'mascot milf' in this case, discussed in the same hushed tones of disapproval forevermore, tsking that hints at but never outright says "she's got our boy by the dick".