Thursday, June 11, 2015

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/all-possible-humanities-dissertations-considered-as-single-tweets?intcid=mod-most-popular

Teehee. I love "The name we’ve been using for this stuff is anachronistic. Here’s a better name." You have no idea how many minutes of my precious life that I'll never get back, spent discussing such things as what to call "appreciation" (in nervous hand wringing over what's measurable) or "minority" (in nervous hand wringing over feeling guilty enough about white privilege). Etcetcetc.  Not to mention the time I spent writing the dissertation itself (aka drinking genny pounders).

I love books. Why I can't just be a snob anymore about it, I don't know really. If I could, if we could, could say we read because we read and we think you should too or you'll be a boring dumbass, it might be off putting but at least the humanities might stop acting like the nervous fat ugly kid with daddy/mommy issues cutting itself in cries for help (armscrossy)