Monday, January 24, 2011

my car is totalled - someone at the shop let that slip today finally, "they usually total it when the frame's bent cz the alignment can't really be fixed ya know", as a snippy defensive stance to my complaining that nearly a month later I still don't have a car. I go to the insurance agent's office, I tell the agent this, she disappears behind a door, comes back and says "good news, it's fixed, they just forgot to call you - you can pick it up tomorrow". I stare at her. I say, um, I owe over 6 grand on this car, I can't trade in a lemon or drive a taco shaped car . . . She says, o don't worry the repairs are guaranteed. I ask what that means exactly - like, I pick it up and it starts making funny noises or a tire falls off next week, I can come back and say hey the car isn't right (?) Well, only the repairs they made are gauranteed, she says, alight with illogic. If they couldn't actually fix it then that wouldn't be a REPAIR, so it wouldn't be guaranteed. Would you like the national customer service number? If it breaks down on the way home tomorrow, can I call you and you come get it and fix it orrr how do I prove the "repair" you just did is the why the car breaks down on the way home or next week - I'm just wondering how the bullshit goes exactly. Would you like the national customer service number? No, I'm standing here in your office, looking at the person to whom I've been paying thousands and thousands of dollars in insurance premiums for years for apparently no good reason, I think I have everything I need right here . . . and hey now I'm just wonderin', if my house burns down, do you pitch a tent on the char hole and call it good as new or what? etc etc etc . .