Tuesday, July 10, 2007

self help reading + music

O I gave myself a 3rd degree burn a few days ago bla bla and now my arm hurts like hell and looks like I buried a gerbil under my skin and like the whole thing needs lopping off. It keeps waking me up to remind me. So that I remember to feel sorry for myself between REM cycles. [Wa.]

from The Book of Genesis [exegesis], John Calvin:

Genesis 1:21 And God created . . . A question here arises out of the word created. For we have before contended, that because the world was created, it was made out of nothing – But they who truly and properly assert that the fishes were created because the waters were in no was sufficient or suitable for their production, only resort to a subterfuge; for in the meantime, the fact would remain, that the material of which they were made existed before; which, in strict propriety, the word created does not admit. I therefore do not restrict the creation here spoken of to the work of the fifth day, but rather suppose it to refer to that shapeless and confused mass, which was as the fountain of the whole world. God then, it is said, created whales, not that the beginning of their creation is to be reckoned from the moment in which they receive their form; but because they are comprehended in the universal matter which was made out of nothing, So that, with respect to all species, form was only added to them.

[Everything is already there, forming into one (pleasing) incarnation after another that surfaces into Being, and each whale (or circumstance) is just an instance.]